Bundanoon's Rex Cinema
History of Rex Cinema
Movies were first shown in Bundanoon in 1924 at Tyler's Hall. The hall was located next to the hotel, which was owned by Miss Ella Tyler at the time. These early movies were, of course, silent movies and the operators had to use a portable generator to supply the electricity, as Bundanoon did not have electricity lines until 1929.
In 1934, the Soldiers' Memorial hall was constructed in the main street of Bundanoon and the ‘Picture Show' was transferred to the new premises. With a couple of short breaks, movies continued to be shown regularly at the Hall until the mid 1960's, when the popularity of television meant the death of many movie theatres, including the "Rex".
In 1994, some volunteers from the Bundanoon Community Association decided to start showing movies again at the Hall. The 1928 projector was repaired, and the "Rex" was back in business. Since then, there have been about three movie showings each year at the Hall, with the old classic movies being the most popular. Charles Slater, the wonderful projectionist we have currently, continues to show some of the old advertisements from the silent movie days prior to each main movie. And the audience loves it when the projector breaks down and they have to wait several minutes for the movie to continue - all part of the nostalgic atmosphere.
Sadly, the 1928 projector had to be retired in 2004, but we were able to procure a 1947 projector to replace it, and some more bits and pieces for repairs were picked up in 2008, so the show still goes on. The 1928 projector is now proudly displayed in the foyer of the Hall along with some of the posters for movies shown over the years.